Hard seltzers have become one of the most trendy beverages in the past year. Most types of Hard Seltzer don’t have gluten, but some can have products derived from ingredients that may cause allergies.
Causes Of Hard Seltzer Allergy
There are more than 30 flavors of Hard Seltzer and the primary ingredients are alcohol and fruit juice or flavors. Not all types contain allergens that can trigger an allergic reaction in your body. But when packaging is done in facilities, allergens can be added to the final product. The most common allergens that might be present in some specialty hard seltzers are given below:
These allergen containing food items are not directly added to Hard Seltzer, but the products used in making it may be derived from these. In addition, you may also experience gluten and sulfites allergies after consuming Hard Seltzer. Not all the types contain all of these allergens, so it’s recommended to check the ingredient labels before you consume any Hard Seltzer.
All these allergens can cause serious allergic reactions and the major issues that can occur after consuming this drink are:
The company claims to produce gluten-free because after the fermentation process is done, gluten is removed. Most Hard Seltzer will not have gluten, but you can’t be sure about all types. Even after the removal of gluten, at 20ppm of gluten will remain in the product and you can’t get 100% gluten-free alcohol.
Anyone having gluten sensitivity should avoid gluten, especially people who have celiac disease. It’s a serious autoimmune disease that initiates an immune response in the body that attacks the small intestine. People suffering from this condition shouldn’t take the risk of consuming this drink unless it has labels of 100% gluten-free.
Hard Seltzer contains sulfites which are used as preservatives in alcoholic beverages. They are added to beer to increase its shelf life, stop bacterial growth, and enhance color. But many reports surfaced that state sulfite is a strong allergen and especially harmful to people with asthma. They can develop an allergic reaction more quickly than other people.
Symptoms of Hard Seltzer Allergy
If you’re allergic to any ingredient in Hard Seltzer, you’ll start feeling the symptoms of an allergic reaction after a few minutes to 2 hours. The time for symptoms depends upon your sensitivity to a particular ingredient and the amount of that ingredient you consumed. Depending upon these, you’ll experience the following symptoms of Hard Seltzer allergy:
Bloating or gas
Diarrhea or constipation
Lack of focus
In severe cases, when you have consumed too much of an allergen or have high sensitivity to it, you’ll experience a serious allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis. It’s not like regular minor allergic attacks, if you don’t get treated on time, it can prove fatal.
When you have anaphylaxis, the initial symptoms will be like common allergies. After 30 minutes, more severe signs will start to appear and these include:
Shortness of breath
Coughing or chest tightness
Swollen lips or tongue
Vomiting, cramps and diarrhea
Lower pulse rate
Itchy or swollen throat
Some people also experience a shock and loss of consciousness. If this happens, a person needs immediate medical help because any delay can be life-threatening.
Prevent Hard Seltzer Allergy
Here are some tips that can help you prevent Hard Seltzer Allergy:
Get yourself tested for common allergies. If you have a family history of gluten or any other allergy, then there are high chances that you also have it. Test yourself for that and other allergies your doctor recommends to protect yourself from serious consequences.
Always check the ingredient labels before consuming any flavor of Hard Seltzer if you are diagnosed with an allergy. Even if you’re not, but you feel you’re allergic to a specific ingredient, it’s best to choose another drink for you.
Keep antihistamine with you to prevent an allergic reaction at an early stage. Sometimes you don’t know that beer can start an allergic reaction, this medicine will prevent the allergy from changing into something serious before you reach the hospital.